What is the Armed Forces Covenant?
The Armed Forces Covenant (AFC) is a written voluntary pledge from businesses who wish to demonstrate their support for the Armed Forces Community. By signing the AFC, a business makes a range of written and publicised promises to set out their support.
The covenant can be signed by an organisation of any size, and from any industry, whether they are an employer of a member of the armed forces or simply wish to acknowledge publically their support for the armed forces.
Completing the signing of an Armed Forces Covenant
The steps involved for employers to sign an Armed Forces Covenant are as follows:
1. Find the Armed Forces Covenant template document here (and attached).
2. Edit section 2 of the template document to outline your own commitments to the Armed Forces Community. In the pledge document, we are asking organisations to explain how they intend to fulfil the commitments which they are making. For example, under ‘seeking to support the employment of veterans young and old’, you may wish to state: ‘by advertising vacancies through the Career Transitions Partnership’. Or under ‘promoting the fact that we are an armed forces-friendly organisation’ you could include ‘by publicising our Armed Forces Covenant on our website and displaying the Armed Forces Covenant logo’. You can find other suggestions in the Guidance Notes. We can discuss these at a meeting or over the phone.
3. Add your company name and logo to page one of the Covenant pledge.
4. A representative of the company should sign page one.
5. Scan and email the complete document to the Armed Forces Covenant team (AFCovenant@rfca.mod.uk) (Please also supply your head office address and registered company number).
6. Defence Relationship Management HQ will register your Covenant, and reply with an Armed Forces Covenant logo and T&Cs for its use. Your Armed Forces Covenant pledge will be uploaded onto the website
If you require any support with this process, or would like to organise a meeting with the Regional Employer Engagement Director, please contact the WM RFCA on 0121 274 2227 or email firstname.lastname@example.org